Movement Research at the Judson Church is a high visibility, low-tech forum on Monday nights throughout the fall and spring seasons. Movement Research at the Judson Church supports experiments in performance rather than finished products. Artists are selected by a rotating peer panel of artists
Basic tech info/specs:
There is only standard (non-theatrical) lighting and a sound system that plays cassette tapes CDs, and mp3 players. No other technical equipment will be available for use unless you provide and operate that equipment independently. The dance floor dimensions are 46’7” wide by 49’5” deep. This measurement does not include the altar, audience, or back of house.
Fall 2016/Winter 2017 Season:
Application deadline: March 31, 2016 at 11:59pm EST
Season dates: September 2016 - January 2017
NEW INFORMATION: Due to the high volume of applications we receive for this series, anyone selected to show work on either the Fall 2015/Winter 2016 Season OR the Spring 2016 season (September 2015-June 2016) is ineligible to apply this round.
All applications must be submitted online.
Be prepared to provide the following information when submitting your online application. You may not save applications in progress. Once applications are submitted they cannot be edited. Movement Research will accept only one application per artist or artist collective/collaboration.
1. Contact Information
2. 1-2 sentences clearly and concisely describing the proposed project (50 words or less), indicating what type of performance work you consider it to be, whether it is a solo or group work, if it is a collaborative project, and any other relevant factual information about the proposed work.
3. Project Description (300 words max.) that briefly and clearly elaborates the ideas/process you will be investigating.
4. Artist bio (200 words max.)
5. 1 Work Sample that best represents your artistic process. Your sample need NOT be of the work you are proposing for Judson. It may be a performance sample or a sample of ideas in progress (rehearsal footage of new research).
• We ONLY accept online videos. Please provide a link to a URL, either youtube, vimeo or other. Vimeo is preferred.
• Sample must show contiguous footage of a work. Do not send excerpts.
• Include one cue point to a representative 2 minute section.
• Sample should contain as much of the full work as possible should the panel want to watch more than the allotted segment.
•Be aware that, due to the volume of applicants, we cannot guarantee that the committee will watch more than 2 minutes of your sample. Please choose your cue point appropriately.
• DO NOT SEND PROMO VIDEOS OR VIDEOS THAT ARE CLIP EDITED. ALL EDITED PROMO VIDEOS OR VIDEOS WITH A SAMPLING OF CLIPS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED .
6. Work Sample Description (75 words max) that explains what stage of your project this work sample represents, or if it is of another project, please explain why you chose this specific work sample and how it relates to your current proposal?
Criteria for selection and context:
Movement Research (MR) continues to serve as a creative laboratory and incubator for emerging artists and ideas. The Movement Research at the Judson Church series is one of a number of MR programs intended to foster rigorous and wide-ranging artistic investigations and nurture experimentation in movement-based forms. An ongoing, free, high-visibility low-tech forum in front of a live audience, this series attracts diverse intergenerational artists at all stages of their creative development and audiences from the dance community and general public. Because MR supports creative process, not final product, the Movement Research at the Judson Church series is for exploration of ideas, not a venue for finished work on a season's presentation. Proposals are reviewed by a rotating committee of artists. Work shown in this series must not exceed a maximum of 15 minutes.
Applications must be submitted online by 11:59pm on
March 31, 2016